Monday, February 15, 2016

Birdwatching in backyard on sixth day of Chinese New Year



Green patch where I had gone for an hour of birdwatching on sixth day of Chinese New Year, 13th February 2016, Saturday evening. Woodpecker (looked like Banded with reddish brown body) flew past me, up and over rooftops of double-storey houses and bungalows and towards the Segamat Country Club. Flocks of pink-necked green pigeons were feeding in a tree just behind the Tamil Primary School. Also seen foraging on the ground of this green patch was the Red Junglefowl. Heard the Prinia, Saw Bee-eaters, yellow-vented bulbuls, mynahs, white-breasted waterhen with chick, two Buttonquails (see earlier at 5.40pm, crossing the road ahead of me when I was driving back to my home in Segamat Baru through inner roads from town). Drove back to see if I could catch a second glimpse of the quails but after waiting until 7pm, these shy birds did not re-appear.


Conducted my garden birdwatching at this green spot which is near my house for My Garden Birdwatch survey back in June 2013. Interesting to see My Garden Birdwatch ranking the Top Ten Commonly Seen Birds in Malaysia from 2010 to 2015. MYGB 2015 Quick Take infographics contain some startling facts including the one on Common vs Javan Mynas, with the latter being an alien species introduced into Singapore and spreading northwards according to My Garden Birdwatch website. Seems the Javan has displaced the Jungle Myna in some places and is putting immense pressure on the Common Myna population.  I did see how the Javan myna behaved when near Common myna during My Garden Birdwatch 2015 and wrote about it in my earlier blog post here. Good to read that the White-throated Fantail made it to the Data Bank when it was sighted at Tanah Rata on 20th June 2015. I believe it is a montane species as compared with the Pied Fantail, which I saw hopping around my neighbour's rooftop when I was back in Segamat for Chinese New Year break. Also saw a pair of Olive-backed Sunbird (Male & Female) in Jambu Air fruit tree within the compound the bungalow nearest to the road that leads to Segamat Baru from the Country Club. Two Brown-throated Sunbirds (Male species) then appeared in the lower levels of the Tree at this Children's playground below. Saw four Brown-throated Sunbirds (all Male species) perched on electrical lines whilst I was on balcony Sunday, 14th Feb morning in my parents house. Their appearance really made it such a special Sunday morning for me!
  

Children's playground above where I observed and submitted my count during June 2013 My Garden Birdwatch. It was a very hazy month in 2013 and I remembered falling sick a week after that due to the haze. I wasn't back in Segamat by June 2014 so I missed this spot that year.  

1 comment:

  1. Nice playground. We took twins there together with sis YCL when she was back in Malaysia for 2015 CNY week.

    ReplyDelete

Brickbats and Bouquets welcomed but not Internet trolls

Tropicbird versus Frigatebirds