Monday, April 13, 2020

Mysterious Snipe species in December 2016

Movement Control Order (MCO) has been extended, again by Government of Malaysia until 28th April 2020. As we prepare to enter into phase 3 of MCO, when the 2nd phase ends on 14th April 2020, I had some time to digitally flip through some pictures of waders and waterbirds taken during a group trip to birdwatch in Northern Peninsular Malaysia organized by Wild Bird Club of Malaysia from 10th to 13th December 2016. That trip report by Graham Tompsett and Jeff Caplan can be read HERE. I came across two pictures of the Snipe which are as above and below. I went through eBird portal to locate the checklists submitted by WBCM, using the Explore Regions tool and searched for checklists submitted in the past 10 years - voila...., the checklists were found and are as below:-
Chuping bird Sugarcane plantations list at https://ebird.org/checklist/S33037592
Permatang Pauh ricefields bird list at https://ebird.org/checklist/S33038264
Teluk Air Tawar-Kuala Muda IBA bird list at https://ebird.org/checklist/S33038207
After going through the Permatang Pauh ricefields checklist report, I discovered we did see the snipe sp. and it was entered accordingly. Whether it was Common Snipe or Pin-tailed Snipe or Swinhoe's Snipe, will remain a mystery, since it was said that the Snipe had to have its tail spread wide to tell the differences.
That trip in December 2016 was exhausting, since it took more than 12 hours for us to reach Changlun, Kedah from Sungai Buloh, Selangor. Thank goodness Ang Teck Hin drove his Isuzu and had room for car-pooling. Driving to Kedah and Penang from KL is tiring and I'm writing this on a personal basis, in which I had to drive my car with my parents to attend their friends' wedding anniversary in Bukit Mertajam late last year in 2019. I suppose it was tiring since I decided to exit the North-South PLUS highway from Bidor onwards (the wanton noodles with braised duck leg was a hit with my Dad and we came back to the same place on our return trip), and took the trunk roads in order for my parents to try the famous chee cheong fun (steamed rice rolls) from Teluk Intan. Imagine my surprise when my mother told me she had not visited Teluk Intan since she married my dad, and my mother is from Kedah, and was trained in Penang as a nurse. She even worked for a while in a hospital at Perlis, and had attended to patients with snakebites! With the benefit of hindsight, despite the tiredness and the never-ending calls from my parents (when I was out for a bit to find some me-time), it was a good trip, one in which had the MCO been in force at that time, would be impossible to make. Lesson learnt from MCO, treasure our freedom to travel. Birdwatching can still be done during MCO period aka looking for garden birds within the confines of our residence.

3 comments:

  1. Common Snipe singing in this video at https://youtu.be/om6iU6Usqbc

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pokok Assam, one of satellite towns nearby Taiping is well-known for market and FOOD. Read on at https://www.malaymail.com/news/eat-drink/2014/05/25/off-the-beaten-track-good-eats-near-taiping-town/674587#.XyQIvmk44Hg.link

    ReplyDelete

Brickbats and Bouquets welcomed but not Internet trolls

Tropicbird versus Frigatebirds