Monday, June 2, 2014

Bird Song Hero by The Cornell Lab

This is an amazing game-based method to teach an avid birdwatcher like me how to identify a bird's song. Although all the bird species highlighted in this game were "alien" to me since these are common birds in North America, learning their songs was really fun. First time I learn what a spectrometer does. The Cornell Lab of Ornithology game is very informative and educational, even for a Malaysian like me.

The introductory Bird Song Hero page below is displayed before the game starts. 


The Song 1 begins so guess which bird sings it? See below:-


Guess right and you are on your way to Play Song 2 until the 7th and last song for the First Round of the Game as below:-



It's interesting that I can get to learn the songs from other bird species and their spectrometer readings, when I had keyed in the incorrect answers. By the way, look out for the comparison with human whistle! Hope the songs from the Northern Cardinal, Tufted Titmouse, Common Potoo (one funny-looking bird that with big bulging eyes), Red-chested Cuckoo, Eastern Meadowlarks, Upland Sandpiper and Wood Thrush will remain in my memory. Because if I do visit North America some day, I hope their real calls will trigger something in my brain so that I can start looking out for each of these birds.

Scored 86% on my first try so it's back to the Cornell Lab Bird Song Hero to learn more about American birds and their songs, before I attempt the Ultimate game.

1 comment:

  1. There were pictures of birds when each of the bird song was correctly identified through this birdsong hero game when i first played it in June 2014. No more pictures when i visited birdsong hero game in July 2014. Just the song and spectogram.

    ReplyDelete

Translate

MNS RSS FEED

Wikipedia

Search results

Nuffnang Ads. Only click if you find it of interest to you