Monday, May 23, 2016

HOOPOE LIFER IN BANGSAEN, CHONBURI, THAILAND

 
Visited Thailand recently to attend family wedding. Felix was my second cousin from Penang and he was getting married to his university sweetheart, Nan, whose hometown was in Bangsaen, Chonburi, Thailand. Bangsaen Heritage Hotel's villa was booked for the family members from Malaysia. Thanks to my Aunt Lily, she arranged a late checkout for my family. Whilst walking in the gardens of the hotel on a hot mid-morning Monday, the Common Hoopoe flew pass me. My heart skipped a beat and my pulse raced. I've heard so much of the Common Hoopoe and to finally (and unexpectedly) see one on my last day in Thailand was a dream come true for me. Apparently, this is the only Hoopoe species that can be found in South East Asia based on Craig Robson's Book on Birds of South East Asia. According to BirdLife International factsheet, it is not endemic to any particular country.  Status of Common Hoopoe is Least Concern under the IUCN Red List history with decreasing population trend. Seems habitat destruction and over-hunting are threatening the Hoopoe's survival.  
Hoopoe probing the dry grass for some tasty mid-morning snacks.
Chestnut brown plumage down its upper back, with lovely black and white patterns right up to its tail.
Hoopoe standing still for a few seconds.....
Hoopoe walks on towards the edge of the garden, up and above a mound below.
The Common Hoopoe only granted me a few precious minutes to observe it. It flew from one end of the villa to the other and I had to cross a public road, before spotting it walking towards an unoccupied Villa. It walked silently towards the edges of the garden, which were filled with dried up leaves and fallen branches. The Hoopoe flew off and I ended my search for it since it was almost 12 noon with scorching sun reminding me that it was almost time to check out and head for lunch with my family.  

5 comments:

  1. Congrats! It is a vagrant to Peninsula Malaysia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wish we could follow you to Thailand for Felix & Nan wedding.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bangsaen beach reminds us of Gurney Drive in Penang.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eurasian Hoopoe range map is published by eBird at https://ebird.org/science/status-and-trends/hoopoe/range-map

    ReplyDelete

Brickbats and Bouquets welcomed but not Internet trolls

Tropicbird versus Frigatebirds